Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Do you know that some online gamers have died of Internet addiction? by Lissy Craton


Internet addiction is not just about playing games. Internet addiction is not just about using Internet. Internet addiction is a fatal addiction in certain cases. That is the case, where many internet cafes around the world are full of people of all ages spending  hours playing online games.

The worst consequence of Internet addiction is death. However, internet addiction can disrupt your life in other ways. For example:

2010:

South Korea was reminded of the tragic consequences of gaming addiction when a couple was found guilty of starving their real-life baby to death while they raised a healthy virtual child in an internet cafe. The father, Kim Jae-beom 41, was sentenced to two years in prison in May after admitting to neglecting their three-month-old daughter Sa-rang – "love" in Korean – while he and his wife spent up to 12 hours a day at a PC bang playing a 3D fantasy game called Prius Online his 25 year-old, Kim Yum-jeong was expecting their second child by the time she was given a suspended 2-year sentence. 


2011:


Wang Gang, 31  who had dropped out of college and cut himself off from his family, had been addicted to Dungeon Fighter, a South Korean multiplayer game which is hugely popular among China's burgeoning online community.

Online multi-user games started in the late 1970's with the restricted concept of competition between two players. It evolved over the years, as technological advancement resulted in better hardware and software systems. Hence what started as a text based adventures has today become Massively Multi-Player Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPG).

MMORPG has factors that motivate gamers to continuously interact with other gamers in order to achieve goals and be engage with their virtual lives 


I infer that creating and living through an avatar reward gamers for what they haven't accomplished in their lives. Unfortunately, gamers don't consider the consequences behind this scenario. In addition, is shocking to see how new and more progressive technology have negatively changed society.




4 comments:

  1. It scares me that people are so wrapped up in their virtual worlds that they disconnect from their real lives. How could someone starve their real child to death and care for their "virtual child?" My sister recently had to take away my niece's cell phone and computer at night because she had been staying up until all hours playing games and being on the internet. It makes me wonder if eventually there will be limits to internet in certain countries. The internet is such an easy way to disconnect from your real life that it makes sense that so many people struggle with addiction. It will be interesting to see what limitations will be set on the internet in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many people don't realize that they have a problem with online gaming. I had a friend who I hadnt seen in couple of years, I went to my his appartment where he and a couple other of my friends lived to visit. He did not come out of his room for 3 days! He was taking adderal(or however you spell it) just so he could stay awake and keep playing online. I myself am a outdoors kind of guy, so I think all these computer addicted people are crazy. SOOOO much better stuff to be doing.

    John Pyles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these stories shocked me. It's hard to believe that people can become that wrapped up in a virtual world that they forget what is actually going on around them. I personally could never find any enjoyment in these games, but I know that many people do. I don't think there's anything wrong with playing these games every now and then (in moderation), but it seems that that the 'addiction' becomes hard to control. I used to have a couple of friends that were heavily into World of Warcraft and it literally seemed to consume their lives when they were not at work or school. The addiction can literally consume your life...scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would consider myself a gamer on gaming consoles instead of computer games. I do know of people who have taking videogames to an addiction level and have acctually gotten in the way of school and work. I personally understand that there is a real world and it is just a game that is for my entertainment. I feel that if someone is connected to society with friends, work, school, and physical activities that they are less likely to become "addicted". I know its not the case for some people and there is always help out there for people who need it. Am happy its not that bad for me.

    ReplyDelete